Podcasts, iPad apps, digital tools and more!
Evidenced-based and anecdotal resources
What you’ll find here
Dysphagia is a disorder of oral and or pharyngeal sufficiency, which affects an individual’s ability to safely consume food or liquids. Dysphagia is treated in a variety of settings; however most often in skilled nursing facilities and hospitals. While old age is a major risk factor for dysphagia (spontaneous onset or concurrent with other health factors), dysphagia is present throughout the lifespan for some individuals. The SLP’s scope includes evaluation and treatment that will help to maintain good oral intake, reduce discomfort, and prevent risks of pneumonia due to aspiration.
receive more of this content
Get new content delivered directly to your inbox.
Tools for Caregivers
Tools for Therapists
apps and PROGRAMS
- Swallow RehApp by Rehapp Mobile Health, Inc.
- SmallTalk Dysphagia by Lingraphica.
- Dysphagia Therapy by Tactus Therapy Solutions Ltd.
- Dysphagia by Northern Speech Services, Inc.
- Dysphagia2Go by Smarty Ears.
List from Swallowing Disorder Foundation
- Swallow Your Pride
- Down the Hatch
- Aspirus Health Talk
- SLP’s and Q’s
- SAGE Palliative Medicine & Chronic Care
- ENT expert opinion
- The Speech Science Podcast
- Gastrointestinal Endoscopy
List from Player FM
Pillars of Pneumonia – Dysphagia in Motion
Diet Manual for Long Term Care – Maryland Dept of Health and Mental Hygiene – Found on ASHA
RELATED FIELDS INFO
NEWs & PEER REVIEW
Perforations, fistulas and aspiration: Special considerations for Modified Barium Swallow Studies (MBSS) – by Steven N. Sireci, M.D
Aspiration Pneumonia: The More We Learn the Less We Know – by Ed Bice, M.Ed., CCC-SLP
Impact of a Tracheostomy on Swallowing – by Carmin Bartow, M.S., CCC-SLP, BCS-S
The Burden of Dysphagia on Family Caregivers of the Elderly: A Systematic Review – by Ashwini M. Namasivayam-McDonald, PhD, CCC-SLP & Samantha E. Shune, PhD, CCC-SLP – June 2018
BLOG & SOCIAL
The Medical SLP Forum
Tactus Therapy – 27 Dysphagia Myths – Busted!
MBS Envision – Modified Mondays
FOR CAREgivers & People With Dysphagia
Clinican’s Guide to Multiple Sclerosis – National Multiple Sclerosis Society
- Swallowing Disturbance Questionnaire
- Eating Assessment Tool (EAT-10)
- Swallowing After Total Laryngectomy questionnaire (SOAL)
- Dysphagia in Multiple Sclerosis (DYMUS)
- Dysphagia Screening Questionnaire
- Sydney Swallow Questionnaire (SSQ)
List from ASHA
- Mann Assessment of Swallowing Ability (MASA)
- Functional Oral Intake Scale (FOIS)
- Quality of Life in Swallowing Disorders (SWAL-QOL)
- The Test of Masticating and Swallowing Solids (TOMASS)
- Anderson Dysphagia Inventory (MDADI)
- Dysphagia Severity Scale (DSS)
- Pill Dysphagia Questionnaire (PILL-5)
International Dysphagia Diet Standardization Initiative (IDDSI)
Synchrony Dysphagia Solutions
Northern Speech Services
Med SLP Collective
James Coyle – Medical Speech Pathology Essentials for Dysphagia Practice
UPCOMING and RECORDED Events
WHAT’S WORKING IN TREATMENT
Disclaimer: I do not receive any monetary or other reward for sharing any material from any source on my platform. All sources are from credible educational or therapy-specific sites, which I may have or may not have used in the past. Only the areas in which I have initialed are to be considered my own ideas or advice. Being that the resource page is a collection of ideas from different clinicians, you may encounter ideas that differ from one another. Any use of any materials or resource from this page or links attached, is at your own free will.